Rules and Regulations for F-1 and J-1 Visa Students

If you are applying from a country outside the United States:

Upon admission, you will receive a U.S. immigration Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 directly from San José State University.

To start the process for an F-1 visa you must file for an I-901 form through SEVIS at and pay the SEVIS fee. If you are already in the U.S. you do not need to do this again unless you re-file for your F-1 visa.

To obtain an F-1 or J-1 entry visa, you will go to the nearest U.S. Consulate with the following:

  • Your passport
  • SJSU admission letter
  • Your I-20 form or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility form
  • Proof (receipt) of SEVIS payment
  • Proof of financial support to obtain an F-1 or J-1 entry visa.

For further information on preparing for a visa, go to